2011Dec20

From Filtered Push Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Etherpad for meeting notes: http://firuta.huh.harvard.edu:9000/FP-2011Dec20

Agenda

  • Brief reivew for Bertram of Reports from iDigBio presentation and Poster.
  • NSF Workshop RFP
  • Upcoming Schedule: No meeting this Friday, no meetings next week. Any changes for 2012 schedules?
  • Mailing list infrastructure changes.
  • Brief summary of tech progress
    • Progress on Redstore deployment (Bob)
    • Progress on Mapper (Maureen, Lei).
  • Pending Tech Issues
    • FilteredPush Requirements Report_on_FP_Requirements
    • API For Query and Cluster Finding
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the query language for pub-sub for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the domain objects supported for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to decide on or set a date for decision for the scope, composition, and implementation of the "global cache."

Reports

Notes =

Present: Bertram, Lei, Jim,. James, Paul, Maureen, Bob.

Agenda:

  • Brief reivew for Bertram of Reports from iDigBio presentation and Poster.
  • NSF Workshop RFP
  • Upcoming Schedule: No meeting this Friday, no meetings next week. Any changes for 2012 schedules?
  • Mailing list infrastructure changes.
  • Brief summary of tech progress
    • Progress on Redstore deployment (Bob)
    • Progress on Mapper (Maureen, Lei).
  • Pending Tech Issues
    • FilteredPush Requirements Report_on_FP_Requirements
    • API For Query and Cluster Finding
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the query language for pub-sub for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the domain objects supported for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to decide on or set a date for decision for the scope, composition, and implementation of the "global cache."

Notes:

  • Brief reivew for Bertram of Reports from iDigBio presentation and Poster.

James: Jim and James present. FP very cool thing, looking forward to using it in platform. No direct funding from HUB, can collaborate with FP on getting more funding. Included Kepler Kuration workflow, very popular, has definite traction in community.

Bob: Curation meeting (poster) largely from data "defenders" rather than creators. About 12 folks spent substantive time discussing at poster, most embarking on metadata curation projects with data/metadata aquisition issues. Most workflow discussions were around Taverna (European context). Semantic meeting: Provenance very interesting.

Bertram: Golden trail, out of DataONE, students at UCDavis, provenance traces on line.

Bob: We should put some more attention on GoldenTrail capabilities.

Action Item: Poster to hang in MCZ for January, lobby with NW Labs construction documents.

  • NSF Workshop RFP

Bob: NSF Program officer requested brief description. Action Item: Will circulate document with blanks to fill in. Should include non biological sciences.

Jim: Annotation interest group at Harvard very relevant.

Bob: Week next wednesday meeting with parts of that group.

Action Item: Paul to make more contacts into that group.

  • Upcoming Schedule: No meeting this Friday, no meetings next week. Any changes for 2012 schedules?

Jim: Out of contact for most of January. Conflicting course tue/thursday at 1. Jim, Wednesday at 1 or noon fine.

Bertram Wednesday 10 ok, 9 better. James. 1 or noon wednesday works.

Paul: Todo: Check if room is available.

Plan for meeting Tue Jan 3 at 1PM Eastern. Tentatively moving to Wednesday Noon Eastern the following week.

  • Mailing list infrastructure changes.

Bob: Sourceforge has mailing list support. Includes public and private archives. Appears to include ability to import existing list archives. Set up test list, experimenting. Anticipate moving FP mailing list archives from UMB to sourceforge. Anticipate setting up private list as well as existing public list.

  • Brief summary of tech progress
    • Progress on Redstore deployment (Bob)

Bob: Lightweight triple store built on top of redlands rdf library. Have demonstration running on workstation, circulated link in email. Next step to populate with our example annotations. Should help in making examples consistent.

(Maureen:) we have a sample database full of Specify Determinations. If we have requirements for turning those into Annotations, we could generate lots.

Bob: Good exersise.

Maureen: Distinguish between annotations captured from paper and annotations that are born digital. Library world deals with these extensively, will examine issues/approaches.

Bob: RDF about being about physical object or digital object.

Discussion: Identifiers for physical objects, distinct from identifeirs for digital representations.

Should have standard way (for ApplePie) to estabilish that a GUID is for a physical or digital object. GUIDs for physical objects can't resolve... But there are loans...

Should formulate how to do this exersise, but wait till we meet with Paolo.

Starting point: http://etaxonomy.org/ontologies/ao/aod_example_7.owl But shouldn't generate all the declarations added by Protege.

    • Progress on Mapper (Maureen, Lei).

Maureen: Working on Specify driver part - knows how to ask for things from the database and save things, where things is key value pairs of simple darwin core terms. Now has implementation of Get.

Lei: APIs between mapper and driver instance. Operation type and data. Trying to define the API and data format. Question: implications of key value pairs is harder support for complexity.

Bob: General problem when dealing with flat things, can't represent the semantics without providing multiple records (with duplication).

Issue, how to implement flat darwin core intermediate representation and key value pair driver interface without forclosing future extension to non-flat.

ActionItem: Paul, generate class diagram for Map, MapToDB, Driver, circulate to Lei and Maureen and Bob.

James - has provided to Lei pointers to canadensis mapping into darwin core star schema, for examination of non-flat darwin core representation.

  • Pending Tech Issues
    • FilteredPush Requirements Report_on_FP_Requirements
    • API For Query and Cluster Finding
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the query language for pub-sub for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the domain objects supported for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to decide on or set a date for decision for the scope, composition, and implementation of the "global cache."

Bertram: Euler is starting up; working with Nico Franz on taxonomy alignment and reasoning (he visited for a day to join a qualifying exam of the student who works on Euler)

He has data sets of interest to us, taxonomic allignments of weevls. Taxonomy reasoning work starting up.

  • For next meeting:
    • Generation Specify determinations to annotations (mid to late Jan?)