2012Aug22

From FilteredPush
Jump to: navigation, search


Etherpad for meeting notes: http://firuta.huh.harvard.edu:9000/FP-2012Aug22

Agenda

  • Reports from SCAN Meeting
    • Symbiota integration
    • iDigBio infrastructure
    • Ontology for matching identifications to interests.
    • Timelines
  • Status of AnnotationProccessor/Mapper
  • Status of Client Authentication
  • iDigBio VMs

Non-Tech

  • Annotation Paper
  • Collaborations
    • Kepler
    • Apiary
    • Specify/Symbiota
    • SCAN TCN
    • NEVP TCN

Reports

  • Paul
    • At SCAN meeting. Developed broad timeline for SCAN feature rollout.
    • Working on Apiary and Kepler proposal documents.


Notes

Filtered Push Team Meeting 2012 Aug 22

Present: Bertram, Maureen, Paul, Bob, Bertram, Lei, James, Jim, David.

Agenda

  • TDWG call for abstracts: Due Sept 10

http://www.tdwg.org/conference2012/

https://mbgserv18.mobot.org/ocs/index.php/tdwg/2012

  • Reports from SCAN Meeting

Jim: One day meeting with small IT group - Neill Cob, Nico Franz, Rod Spears, Gill Nelson, Ed Gilbert (and Jim and Paul). Overview of how Symbiota, FilteredPush and Specify could serve the project. Overviews of each of the three, most time on overview of FilteredPush. Then all hands meeting (two days), of larger group, mostly systematists (Jim for morning, Paul for both days). Did overview and demonstration of FilteredPush. Also presentations on Symbiota and Specify. Favorable feedback on FilteredPush. Clear that we need to make user interfaces as easy to use and unobtrusive as possible for this community. Main need for this project is addressed nicely by FP - 10 or so institutions in the south west with few taxonomists, but large body of expertiese across the institutions - thus notifiyng specialists of undentified specimens with images and locality data, then improving the identifications.

Bob: Use just symbiota for ids?

Paul: One suggested approach. Plan is to do that and FP.

Jim: Case of needing to feed back annotations to data owner.

Bob: Provenance of action that data owner took is also available through FP.

    • Symbiota integration

Ed Gilbert keen to start.

    • iDigBio infrastructure

SCAN Symbiota instance on iDigBio vm. Ed has requested a VM to set up a test FP-Symbiota deployment.

Bob: Good to have snapshot for development machine.

Maureen: Need to define what tests we need to have static data for. Might have scripts to reset test environment data.

Gil very interested in deploying annotation system with iDigBio portal and Morphbank.

Bob: Probably a call for an annotation that is all text - just a note, solve with more data case represented as text, or just commentary in arbitrary forms.

Paul: Date collected also key data item for them. We need to look at rules and example annotations.

James: Date ranges and complex dates for entomologists, e.g. traps.

Paul: Symbiota supporting "date" and "date to date".

Bob: Relates also to same,different,could be.

Bob: Are specimens from the same collecting event spread across different collections?

Jim: Yes, but not at the duplicate specimen level. e.g. Series of types from one collecting event may be sent to different institutions.

    • Ontology for matching identifications to interests.

Paul: Develop tool within symbiota, and develop tool with FP using taxonomy as ontolgy with specialists tied in.

Bob: Invitations to join in social media.

Maureen: Workflow language - route to next person.

James: May be chains of annotation and trust that change as identification improves.

    • Timelines

Paul: Graded deployment, test and production environments over fall:

FP-Lite, then FP-Medium, Kepler Kuration, Then annotation processor, then Embedded Kepler.

TODO: Paul - integrate whiteboard diagram into timeline

  • Status of AnnotationProccessor/Mapper

Lei: Working on email client look for annotation processor, including in/trash/interest boxes. Adding features for page updates and exception handling. Search not done yet - has as other dependencies. Will move to mapping page soon.

  • Status of Client Authentication

David: Modified authentication system - when libraries other than java were signing there were compatability issues, changes to support this.

  • iDigBio VMs

Have heard the person who was on vacation, need to check again.

Non-Tech Items

  • Annotation Paper

Bob: Working on coding major examples in form of OA (in svn). Based on that, this week will get back to paper.

  • Collaborations
    • Kepler

Bertram: Working on text and details. Logistics for submission sorted out?

Jim: UCDavis as lead has main role. Harvard supplying supporting documents. Would like to have decision on which budget to use about end of this week, and finalize the numbers next week.

Bertram: James' contact with program officer?

James: Yes, signal was to price what was needed to get the work done, needs strong sell for lots of funding. Spread to 4 years perhaps in program officer's mind.

Discussion: Change to spread out over 4 years? Increase budget? Spread out programming.

James: Perhaps stop programming at end of year 3, then switch to outreach in year 4.

Bob: Good sustainability story.

Harvard budget contact: Kristen --> put in contact with Gail @ Genome Center

James: Good to have DataOne integration in Kurator.

    • Apiary

Call friday 11am.

Amanda and Jason have text well in hand. Aiming to have firmed up by this friday.

Bob: Need to look more closely at image metadata and audobon core.

    • Specify/Symbiota

Jim B. has supplement request in.

    • SCAN TCN

See above.

    • NEVP TCN

Nothing new.

Tech call this friday one hour later than usual, 1PM eastern instead of noon eastern.