2012Mar07

From Filtered Push Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Etherpad for meeting notes: http://firuta.huh.harvard.edu:9000/FP-2012Mar07

Agenda

  • Discussion of potential grant proposals.
  • Collaborations
  • SPNHC (two computers/projectors should be feasible).
  • iDigBio symposium and workshop at Botany 2012 (July).
  • Ecosystem components
    • Client helper: Annotation generation.
    • Firuta configuration.
    • Integration with Morphbank.
    • AnnotationProcessor: Specify Driver.
    • FP Access point API and FP Network Nodes.
  • API For Query and Cluster Finding
  • Pending Tech Issues
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the query language for pub-sub for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to decide on or set a date for decision for the scope, composition, and implementation of the "global cache."
    • Tech group needs to document the use, roles, and rationales for identifiers.
      • Who is responsible for MessageIDs and what purposes do they serve.
      • Identifiers in messages
      • Identifiers in annotations

Reports

  • Paul
    • Web service in Glassfish container functioning, working on EJB for triage/messaging.


Notes

Present: Bertram, James, Jim, Maureen, David, Paul

Agenda

  • Discussion of potential grant proposals.

ABI deadline in July.

TODO: Paul to get and distribute program announcement.

TODO: Jim to check with NSF about Canadian institution as subcontractor:

TODO: James to put together a first cut at a one paragraph summary, collect feedback particularly from Bertram.

  • Collaborations

Jim: good news, waiting on confirmation, when finalized, distribute

James: Jim Beach very interested in what we are doing with Specify (annotation ingestion and SGR).

Paul: Some information flow in Tuesday Specify calls. Invite Jim Beach in to a Wednesday call?

James: Probably good timing.

Jim: Good to keep in touch in the collaboration.

TODO: Paul to invite Jim Beach in to a call.

  • SPNHC (two computers/projectors should be feasible).

James: Heard back from Amanda and Tim, wired and wireless connections available, details not available yet. Second projector should be possible.

Maureen: We can always fall back to one machine, but need to configure each of the machines involved.

James: If web casting possible, then have possiblity to show remote sessions.

James: Could have savy members of the audience participate.

Could record sessions, craft together into video.

Discussion: Explore having Harvard-Smithsonian astrophysics group produce video.

TODO: Jim to provide contact to Paul to follow up.

  • iDigBio symposium and workshop at Botany 2012 (July)

James: We've been asked to do two things: (1) 15 min talk in a symposium, needs abstract. (2) Part of workshop hosted at meeting, ~ half hour, more details. Show demonstration? Collect feedback.

TODO: Paul to check on funding possiblities.

  • Ecosystem components
  • Kepler Kurator paper is due on Saturday. Shared with reviews via Dropbox with co-authors,

looking for some help on some of the comments) --> separate telecon/emails?

Bertram: will circulate reviews on paper, comments mostly valid and need to be addressed, need feedback on e.g. nature of problem in domain and contribution of workflow. Everyone involved please look and see how to strenghten in next couple of days.

    • Client helper: Annotation generation.

David: Finished example for cluster duplicates - 4 annotation types, insert update determination, cluster duplicates, response annotation. Can generate these from specify.

    • Firuta configuration.

Paul: Anne Marie should be getting names today, can move forward then.

    • Integration with Morphbank.

Just started.

    • AnnotationProcessor: Specify Driver.

Maureen: Continuing to work on this. Making specify work with HSQL in memory database (not using EZDB/demo, but making production work with something other than MySQL) - wil make development/testing of driver easier. Driver can ingest new records of any type that specify recognises. Specify has configuration for dissemination of records as Darwin core, can be used in either direction, they are only doing in one direction, developing other direction.

    • FP Access point API and FP Network Nodes.

Move from tomcat web service to webservice over EJBs in glassfish in progress.

  • API For Query and Cluster Finding
  • Pending Tech Issues
    • Tech group needs to make a decision on or set a date for decision for the query language for pub-sub for Apple Pie.
    • Tech group needs to decide on or set a date for decision for the scope, composition, and implementation of the "global cache."
    • Tech group needs to document the use, roles, and rationales for identifiers.
      • Who is responsible for MessageIDs and what purposes do they serve.
      • Identifiers in messages
      • Identifiers in annotations
  • Miscellaneous/Around the room:

- Bertram: just back from trip to Dagstuhl Germany, participating (and co-organizing) a seminar on Principles of Provenance:

http://www.dagstuhl.de/de/programm/kalender/semhp/?semnr=12091

Also: Euler project is moving forward (collab. with Nico Franz); using CleanTax to do taxonomy alignments. Seems we'll have something to show by summer. Might be an opportunity to add "taxonomy alignment services" to FP (or a future tool). One way of looking at this is that CleanTax (or its new incarnation Euler) provides "automatic annotation services".