2012May23

From Filtered Push Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Etherpad for meeting notes: http://firuta.huh.harvard.edu:9000/FP-2012May23

Agenda

  • Annual Report
  • Collaborations
    • Wisconsin/KU
    • Kepler
    • SCAN
    • CNH (Brief note, HUH meeting Friday AM)
  • Annotation MS Status?
  • SPNHC demo deployment
    • Scripts for Jim, James, & Heather
    • Elements still needed for SPNHC Demo
      • Last step - show annotation history in network (?From Symbiota?)
      • Specify on/access Firuta (ssh tunnel?)
      • Bugs from user reports on scripts
    • Code Freeze Date
  • For Later
    • CNH TCN Collaboration

Reports

  • Paul
    • Edited scripts from Lei and David, with feedback from Maureen, sent Morphbank, Symbiota, and first part of Annotation Processor script out to Jim, James, and Heather.
  • Lei
    • Integrated the annotation processor with the messaging system and deployed on Firuta.
    • working with Maureen on integration with specify driver
  • David
    • Troubleshooting Morphbank performance issues on Firuta
    • UI changes for Filtered Push on Morphbank and Symbiota forms
    • Created Morphbank and Symbiota scripts for Jim, James and Heather

Notes

Filtered Push team Meeting 2012 May 23

Present: Bertram, Maureen, David, Paul, Jim, Bob, James, Lei, Heather

Agenda

  • Annual Report

Jim: Any work on google doc yet? Check for: FP annual report.2011-12.draft.docx

Looks like this is work for this afternoon. TODO: for Bob, James, Paul, Bertram.

  • Collaborations
    • Wisconsin/KU

Jim: Looking at a small inexpensive supplement to a KU ABI grant. Need to submit one page summary (from KU) within a few days. Most work by Symbiota and Specify. Very minor role for FP. Need to settle on specifics of work to be done.

Bob: Core of what they want to do doesn't need FP on a critical path. Read as they don't want to entirely leave out FP. Suggest we give them two or three bullet points and what they would cost.

This afternoon cambridge group to come up with these bullet points.

    • SCAN

Nothing new.

    • CNH (Brief note, HUH meeting Friday AM)
  • Annotation MS Status?

Still out for review.

  • Kurator update (Bertram to leave at 10am PDT):

- importance of library development ("good wrapping" of existing services, tools) - easy "plug-and-play" (story-telling vs programming) of pipelines (e.g. use ideas from Kepler/COMAD and Restflow) - adding to the "wf-story" a "data story": -- DwC vs Specify6, GBIF, IPT tools -- "structured spreadsheets" (also cf. Google Spreadsheets, Big Table, Fusion Tables) - budget

Bertram: Good brainstorming session yesterday. Notes above. Call tomorrow, good to point out Kuration paper, with diagram.

Jim: Comfortable with sharing paper, also helps establish credentials. Bertram as key person for call, Jim and James supporting from domain.

James: Completely agree. What is status of paper?

Bertram: Presentation within a couple of weeks. Paper accepted, final version is in. Formating in current copy from publisher is a bit odd.

Jim: Call tomorrow is with informatics PIs on iDigBio.

Bertram: When was conversation with NSF?

Jim: No discussion with NSF yet.

James: Likewise.

Jim: Seeking endorsement/collaboration from iDigBio first, wanting to refine that.

Bertram: the've seen the demo video and got excited:

James: yes.

Bob: Bertram started with structured spreadsheets. This sounds like relational databases with no relational integrity...

Bertram: Spreadsheets, but friendly for post processing - let people use tools that they are familiar with, but providing backing for data manipulation.

Bob: More seriously, are any of the google apis for data management relevant.

Bertram: Potentially.

Paul: Restflow?

Bertram: Tim's workflow engine. New system he build from scratch, similar to COMAD, but self standing - data containers passed between workflow steps.

Bertram, expect quick start into writing after the call tomorrow.

  • SPNHC demo deployment
    • Scripts for Jim, James, & Heather

Script (first part compiled from Lei and David, edited by Maureen and Paul sent out).

James: another question: Where should we put into controled vocabularies.

Maureen: Excellent points for doing demonstration, want to highlight what we are doing in FP.

David: Some of the issues may be bugs. Display of state of submission of annotation ready to deploy.

Bob: James' observation about editing annotations may be exposing morphbank violating our assumptions about annotations.

James: For demo not needed to fix morphbank, for letting other folks play with it directly, probably need to clean up more.

James: Very looking forward to adding controled vocabularies from morphster for identification evidence....

Maureen: We should add an estimated time to the script.

    • Elements still needed for SPNHC Demo
      • Last step - show annotation history in network (?From Symbiota?)

Discussion: Symbiota compelling round trip story. Good to develop more general find annotations for digital object with javascript or browser plugin, independent of client (but not for demonstration).

Maureen: Might be good to invest someone's time for a few hours to tweak the Morphbank and Symbiota installations to brand them as FP.

      • Specify on/access Firuta (ssh tunnel?)

Maureen: Need to test right away. Demonstration laptop needs specify from KU, then configure.

      • Bugs from user reports on scripts

Paul/Maureen to create bug reports from email feedback.

    • Code from driver needs to be integrated into annotation processor.

Maureen: Need to finish this.

    • Code Freeze Date

Paul: Could add plugin to Specify to display annotation processor in browser window.

Maureen: Not within time remaining for demo. Nothing in Specify is that easy.

Paul: by end of 2012-May-29 OK?

Lei, Maureen, David: Yes.

    • Update on ApplePie Poster progress

James: Took Paul's mockup, reorganizing and adding text. About half way through. Could put in some more specific examples. Next draft by Friday, will circulate then. Final draft sometime next week.

Paul: Will need to reserve poster printer. James: Also have capability in CA.

James: Just got permission to go to Botany. Paul: To follow up on finances.

James: Would like access to HUH Specify documentation wiki. Paul: Need to work on it at several levels here.

Bob: Working on SparQL push (for messaging system), pubsubhubhb protocol and implementation has advanced considerably since the last time we looked. There is now a W3C community project for the protocol. New version of the protocol for notifications in the works. Protocols for a more generic pub-sub system than JMS are in the works as a W3C standard.

  • For Later
    • CNH TCN Collaboration