2013Jan23

From Filtered Push Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Etherpad for meeting notes: http://firuta.huh.harvard.edu:9000/FP-2013Jan23

Agenda

  • Prospective meetings, development targets
  • Repository Reorganization
  • Annotations
    • Progress on: Rewriting examples/rules from AO/AOD to OA
  • ApplePie
  • Embedded Kepler
    • Progress on embedded QC job
  • Drivers (API documentation, MCZbase).
  • Knowledge/Interests implementation.

Non-Tech

  • Increasing Burn Rate: Prioritized items on google doc.
  • Annotations
    • Annotation MS
    • Task Group for Applicability Statement on OA
  • Collaborations
    • Specify/Symbiota
    • SCAN TCN
    • NEVP TCN
    • Names

Reports

Notes

FilteredPush Team Meeting 2013 Jan 23 Present: David, Paul, Maureen, Jim, James, Tianhong, Bob, Heather. Regrets: Bertram (DataONE Meeting)

  • Prospective meetings, development targets

James: Semantic conference looks very appropriate. Publishing is good. Can't go personally. SPNHC call not out yet. TDWG last week in October in Florence, Italy, Nico is proposing session on taxonomic names and semantics.

Bob: Two rollout meetings for OA. Would like to see a demonstration of systems using OA. First is in Early April, Second in Early May. We would probably the only one annotating data, with exception of ALA where annotation is occuring on central presentation. OA group things that queries are an interesting thing to annotate also.

5 opportunities:

OA West coast (will pay expenses of the presenter). Looking for demonstration and higher level technical details of what works and doesn't with OA.

OA East coast. (essentially same presentation - two sessions for convenience).

Semantics in biodiversity.(opportunity to develop for publication).

SPNHC (http://www.spnhc.org/calendar/view_dates/event:7)

TDWG (late October) http://www.tdwg.org/homepage-news-item/article/tdwg-2013-call-for-symposia-and-workshops/

Maureen: Nice to point out what we are specifically doing with OA (and what we need to do to extend it). (expectation insert vs expectation update; evidence; multiple topics/bodies). Good to show a test case of something we convinced OA to adopt.

Bob: Cardinality restrictions - open world, but we are closing with rules.

David: Demoing Morphbank we can show new determination and edit of determination.

Jim: Good targets as long as they do not interfere with our production of deliverables.

Bob: We haven't convinced OA about evidence. We haven't convinced them about multiple bodies (what boolean combination is involved if more than is involved). We did convince them about multiples. It's in the Jan 28 release. Evidence isn't.

David we aren't currently using grouping (was RDF bag in AO implementation).

Bob: Important use case for us.

  • Repository Reorganization

David: Subversion Repository reorganized.

  • Annotations
    • Progress on: Rewriting examples/rules from AO/AOD to OA

Paul: Grouping still needs to be redone.

Bob: Everything else looks good.

Bob: Specific resources may need revisiting. There are discussions on OA about how to use these. For example, have identity of database, but want to comment on a darwin core tripplet.

David: Deploying on fp2 VM - should have FP-medium deployed there by end of week. Next week with coordinate with Ed on making sure that Symbiota is working with FP-medium and the annotation processor.

  • ApplePie

Paul: Targets for SPNHC?

James: Duplicate finding? Network? Story with Specify? Symbiota integration?

Paul: Should involve NEVP/CNH?

  • Embedded Kepler
    • Progress on embedded QC job

Tianhong: Working on the build problem - tight coupling with build system. Non-trivial issue. First approach not that easy, exploring two other alternatives.

David: Is second approach the webservice approach we discussed last friday? This might be something to work with. If there is a WSDL then we can invoke that service rather than wrapping with an EJB.

Tianhong, not clear how the webservice is running yet. Need to investigate further.

  • Drivers (API documentation, MCZbase).

No work. Ticket with RC pending.

  • Knowledge/Interests implementation.

Maureen: Feb 1, demonstrating harvest of taxon tree from symbiota to ontology, Feb 6, reasoning on annotations to match to interest. Deploying required elements onto FP1 VM.

David: Handling Fedora metadata rdf and linking to annotations. Treatment with OA?

Bob: Choice: model entirely within OA using two bodies. or model in something in FP.

Paul: Avoid forcing clients to be aware of Fedora metadata (fedora being an implementation of storage for us).

Bob: Perhaps modeling with OA using two bodies, have more details.

David: Need to link annotations to documents, need to get harvested taxon data into triple store, need to add reasoning to link annotations to interest, then need to retrieve the annotation documents.

Bob: Shouldn't be OA's problem. Should be siloed enough that we can change implementation.

Non-Tech

  • Increasing Burn Rate: Prioritized items on google doc.

Jim: Suggest the following: (1) if anyone is not comfortable with the priorities, speak up in the next 24 hours. (2) Jim and Paul will meet with Kristin to review highest priority items and check that all figures are correct and calculate indirect costs, then have Kristin map these to the budget checking that proposed expenses aren't beyond those allowed for individual budget categories. If proposed expenses look ok, then we will put them into effect. If funds are still left over, then repeat with next lowest priority items.

TODO: Paul to present list of high priority items to Kristin - map against budget categories.

TODO: Paul and Jim to meet with Kristin next week.

  • Annotations
    • Annotation MS

Paul: still working on, top of list.

James: Annosys MS.

Discussion: Bob, David, James to start working on.

    • Task Group for Applicability Statement on OA
  • Collaborations
    • Specify/Symbiota
    • SCAN TCN
    • NEVP TCN
    • Names

Preproposal is in.

    • Others

Bob: Rolling proposals: New international collaborations.

James: Semantic media wiki / FNA work starting with Joel. Bob as liasoin.